Saturday, January 21, 2006

Ding! Ding! Round 2

He slept until about 7:30, then he woke up vomiting again.

I have him ensconced in his college sister's vacated bed.

With a bucket.

And a box of tissue.

I think I'm just past the point of being able to constructively go back to bed for a bit. I got up when the alarm went off at 6:30, and now it's just gone 8:00...I have a breakfast date for 10:00, and there are cinnamon buns rising in the oven until 8:30 or 9:00. I'll need to shower and be ready to leave by 9:45, but ready to start the car around 9:30 as, Baby, it's cold outside. (note to self: remember to unplug the cord before you leave)

I don't mind getting up early. In fact, I've been doing it all week and I think I rather prefer it to sleeping in and feeling half out of it all day. I've been keeping to my self-inflicted regime since Sunday past, and it's been going pretty well. Randall noticed on Wednesday morning when he left for his early morning prayer meeting and I was at the door to kiss him good-bye. Why did you get up at 6:30? he asked. I didn't, I said. I got up at 6:15 and I've been doing it since Sunday.  Two days later Hillary noticed. She regularly leaves a note in the bathroom, above the toilet paper dispenser, asking me to wake her when I'm done in the shower. Friday she wanted to be awakened before I had my shower so she could do a little more studying for that day's term finals. I misunderstood, and knocked on her door to tell her it was 6:30, and it was before my shower. She wanted to know what I was doing up at 6:30 this morning, and I said I've been up at 6:15 a.m. every day this week. I think that's when she realized why I've been getting so grouchy at 10:00 p.m. when I'm still trying to go to bed and my children are keeping me from it.

Oh, well.

Why the new schedule?

A week ago Wednesday I saw the Doctor, and learned that I'd "failed" the glucose-tolerance test. He put me on a small dose of an insulin substitute. Half a pill two times a day. The Pharmacist said as close to every 12 hours as you can manage, to be taken with food.

I'm no rocket scientist, but I know that our bodies like routine, and I know that my body doesn't like to eat late at night, and I know that this pill will probably work best for me if it's every 12 hours, give or take 15 minutes. The first few days I took it at breakfast, but it kept getting pushed back and by Friday I wasn't able to eat til after everyone left for school. This meant waiting til almost 9:30 Friday night to take the next pill.

I rebelled against my own system, and decided to make a change. I didn't take a pill Saturday morning, starting over again after Supper Saturday, around 6:30. I set the alarm for 6:15 Sunday morning and I've been getting up at that time all week. Sunday seemed like a long day, and I must admit that I was in bed by 7:30 Sunday night. And sleeping.

It's been pretty good. I'm still working on the going to bed end of it, though. I might need a nap today.


  1. I changed my routine about 10 months ago because there was never enough time after work to spend time with the family AND get my running in. So I started getting up at 5:00. Yep. 5:00!!

    It was difficult only for the first week or so, then it became habit.

    Good on you for starting a good habit!

    (My family also can't fiqure out why mommy is so tired at 10:00 also)

    Must be a mommy thing! :)

  2. Are you on Metformin?

    I've been on it for 4.5 years. It's rough at first, but if you take it consistently, it does get better.

    If it is the met, if you are on the regular version (and not the extended release), then you can take them closer together than 12 hours so they are in your system during your daytime meals. take it too close to bedtime and it can cause sugar problems at night.

    Hope it helps...hang in there! :)

  3. Your discipline is to be admired.

    Mornings are the best even when not on meds that have to be taken. At least for me.

    Hope this bug leaves you all soon. Praying for your household.